Supersoulfighter.

Never hide.
Always fight.

martes, 27 de julio de 2010

UWC Selection Process

At the time of the Selection, they took around 20 of us (they did it in different times, Friday morning/afternoon/Saturday morning, I was in the 2nd group) to a room where we completed our "General Culture" tests. Nothing I had studied was there. Anyway I think it didn't go so bad, there were some things I knew. Then a psychological test which was just choosing answers a, b, c or d.

After that, we brought the chairs to the corners of the room and played some games to get to know each other, while they called some of us for the Personal Interview and the Social Project Presentation. I spent the whole evening there. I thought I had done everything quite well, and so went back to my aunt's house.

On Saturday we had to go again to that hotel, and they said the names of the 20 of us that went on to the next stage. In the evening, we had some dinner together and played more games, but now with almost an ex-student for each applicant (all the games were taught by them, as they were the organizers). Alright, I can still remember that the last game was about "selling" each college (in pairs) as a touristic destination. Carol, the Spanish friend who's also coming to LPC, got a fantastic idea and we "sold" the Adriatic College.

On Sunday, we had to go again in the morning to have another personal interview, and so I did. It didn't go bad, and on the afternoon we got into the car and drove back to Sevilla, waiting for the call that would confirm either if I was chosen or not.

It finally came, and they told me that there hadn't been luck. I wasn't chosen for the scholarship.

That was worse than a punch in the stomach. We were sure that I would go to Canada (with "we", I mean my parents and I), but then I had to stay and go study in Olivares, a nearby town.
However, I tried to be strong and accept it, and that's what I did.

But my parents are not like that. They would not stop if they wanted something. So they wrote a letter to the Committee, and asked if there was any way that I could go to the colleges. In normal circumstances, well, I could pay, but I don't have the money. But there were 11 chosen, and I was number 12. So they said that if we could find financing by a week I could still go.

They searched, working really hard. Giving phone calls, sending e-mails, they finally got it. And then I got the call. I was going to Li Po Chun United World College of Hong Kong. Still today, I find it unbelievable.

2 comentarios:

  1. Hola! He estado leyendo tu blog, ya que lo enlazaban en otros de alumnos del año pasado, y me gustaría preguntarte sobre lo de la financiación por tu cuenta, que, al estar en inglés, me he enterado, pero no con muchos detalles... es decir, ¿te lo financiaste tú? ¿pusieron algo ellos por su parte?
    si puedes responderme, por favor, envíame un e-mail: larita117@gmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi! I am another UWC dreamer, and would to go to LPC above all. Would you be able to tell me how you got funding? Thank you so much! Xxxx

    ResponderEliminar