Supersoulfighter.

Never hide.
Always fight.

martes, 27 de julio de 2010

United World Colleges

Five years ago, when I was 11, my father found them on the Internet. He saw what these colleges were: a place to meet people from really different cultures, and to make friends around the world. He saw the importance this colleges gave to good education, emphasizing not only on studying but on making us collaborate, understand, and live along with others. Resuming, it was a place where you could start a life apart from your parents and become an independent person who cares about the world, who wants to improve other's lives and who wants to study. And my father liked it.

He showed it to my mother, then to me, and I said "Yeah, I like it", and that's all. I hadn't given it all the importance it has, but it was my objective to become a UWCer.
As the time to apply for the scholarship approached, my excitement grew. I saw the college in Canada and totally fell in love with it, with the activities they did, with the kind of life those students had.

And the time to send the application form came. I worked hard on it, thinking of which answers would be the best. I wrote a very sensitive but strong essay about the life of one friend of mine, Mol Pao, who lives in Cambodia. His is a story I will have to tell.
So I completed all the pages on the form, read them four or five times and then showed it to my parents. We looked at them together again and corrected some things. After a week correcting little details, we sent the form to some psychologist friends we have so they could tell us their impression. We still changed a few things, and finally sent it.

Months passed without news.

I had just arrived from school and was having lunch when my cell phone rang. I wondered who it was and was tempted to ignore it, but I answered. It was the Spanish Selection Committee!
And they told me that I could go on to the next stage on the selection. From 560 applications, 50 people went to Madrid on the same weekend. I lost some classes preparing myself, searching about current events, studying history and literature and memorizing by heart the Social Project I had to present and I had already sent by e-mail.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario